History Program February 27th

All were invited to this special program presented by the N. Fulton historical societies of Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, and Milton.


Sunday, February 27th
at 2:00 pm
at St. James United Methodist Church
3000 Webb Bridge Road, Alpharetta 30009

This program focused on the the Bailey-Johnson school built on Kimball Road to provide elementary through high school education to North Fulton African-American children from 1950-1967. Originally named the "Alpharetta Colored School" when it first opened during segregation in 1950, the Bailey-Johnson school replaced small rural Black schools including one in Shakerag built on the Findley farm in the early 1930s.

The program included:

  • A brief history of the schools consolidated to form Bailey-Johnson
  • A panel discussion by Bailey-Johnson alumns moderated by Karyn Greer, CBS-46 TV Anchor
  • Developer's presentation of the plans for adaptive reuse of the building while retaining its history

Photo: Kathleen Moon Photograph Collection, Atlanta History Center